Having trouble reading my Steelwave Micro Tags

Brandi Pedersen

Hi Everyone!

I am having some trouble getting my Steelwave Micro (Confidex) tags to read using the Clearstream software. I know I have my configuration setup correctly, because I can read other tags just fine. These ones will just not read for me.

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, I'm just not sure what it is. Any suggestions?

Corey Hagewood

Staff member
Hi Brandi,

When trying to read tags it is always important to know as much information about the tag you are trying to read as possible. There are tons of different kinds of tags out there, and many of them have different requirements to get the optimal read range.

To help with this, ask yourself the following questions:

1. Is it a on metal tag?
-On metal tags are designed to be used on metal objects. When not on metal objects, the read range of these type of tags can drop drastically. It is very important to know what type of tag you have, so you can tag the correct material of your item.

2. Does the tag require a specific orientation?
-Different tags are designed to receive the RFID waves in different ways. Orientation and Angle are key in getting good reads. Check your Tag's spec sheet to see how the tag should be placed on your item.

3. Environment
-What environment are you trying to scan this tag in? Is there a lot of metal in the room, metal can deflect RFID waves and cause problems when trying to read tags. Remember, the distance values on the spec sheets are in ideal situations. This usually means open air environments where there is no interference with the RFID wave signals. You may need to adjust your Setup to account for any environmental variables you have.

It is always a good idea to look back at the spec sheet for your tag. It should tell you any key information needed on getting the best read range.

Brandi Pedersen

Hi Corey,

Those are some great tips. I was trying to mount these tags on card board. Once mounted on metal objects they started reading great! I will make sure to read the spec sheet more carefully in the future.

I have another question if you don't mind.

How many times can a tag be reused? As in, how many times can the EPC be rewritten?

Corey Hagewood

Staff member
Hi Brandi,

Tags can be rewritten as many times as you like. There is no limit to how many times a tag can be reprogrammed with a new EPC value. There is also a way to lock down tags so that they can no longer be rewritten. The only time you can not reprogram the EPC of a tag is if that tag has been locked down to a specific EPC.