Trying to use an Alien 9680 reader with ClearStream

Connor Hathoway

Hi,

I'm trying to use my Alien 9680 reader with ClearStream and it does not appear to be working. I see that Alien is supported in the Add reader drop down, but when I select it from the list and enter the IP address of the reader, nothing happens. The reader ID remains blank.

Any help is much appreciated.

Howie Heckman III

Staff member
Hi Connor,

The current release of ClearStream does not support that model Alien RFID reader. The Alien RFID readers that are supported by ClearStream include any reader that support LLRP. Unfortunately your 9680 does not support this protocol.

We are however currently adding support for all Alien readers through the Alien Reader Protocol (ARP). This update will be available in our 3.1 release of ClearStream RFID due out in about a month.

Please check back then and download the update.

Thanks Connor.

Connor Hathoway

Thanks for the quick reply Howard. I look forward to trying the new release. In the meantime I have some other readers available I will use.

Howie Heckman III

Staff member
Just as a quick follow-up to this post...

I think all the current Alien readers that work with ClearStream have a '+' sign at the end of the model name. If you are still unsure take a look at the spec sheet for the RFID reader, that information is always there.

Howie Heckman III

Staff member
Hi Connor,

I'd just like to let you know that ClearStream RFID 3.1 has been released and the Alien Reader Protocol (ARP) is now supported. So, you should be able to use that Alien 9680 RFID reader with ClearStream. It will also support all current and future Alien readers that support either LLRP or Alien Reader Protocol.

You can download the new version here: http://www.clearstreamrfid.com/download/

Let us know if you run into any issues.