Some ClearStream 3.0 Demo questions.

Jerry Virgo

Hi,

I’m trying to evaluate ClearStream 3.0 for a warehouse application in
California. My hardware configuration is Impinj R420 with GPIO photo
electronic sensor and light stack/buzzer.

I have 3 questions that I would appreciate if I could get some help on:

1. Could you please help me setup a security configuration to track
and alert if an ID Card or item is not allowed to pass through an entry
point? For example: a lost ID Card being used by someone else or maybe an
expired card. This can also be setup for Loss Prevention if configured at
exit points.

2. The Material Check-In/Check-Out. Could you please give me an idea how to set this up?
Also, there is already an existing system that is using
barcodes, can I setup ClearStream to emulate a keyboard wedge app much like
a barcode reader connected to a USB port?

3. The TID in the destination file is not being posted even though ‘Read all
memory banks’ is enabled and mapped. Is there something else I need to do?

Corey Hagewood

Staff member
Hi Jerry,

To answer your questions:

1. To configure a security checkout portal you would need to prepopulate a database table with all the ID cards allowed to go through the portal. The next step would be to configure this table as the destination of one of your ClearStream RFID sync processes. Then configure the Update Type of this destination to be UpdateExisting. Finally, configure a GPO to power on for a specified time with an Alert Type of 'Destination Data Update' with a condition of 0. What this means is that when a tag is read it will attempt to update that tag in the database. Since it does not exist in the database table the update action will return 0, and turn the GPO on.

2. To setup a check in/out application you will need at least 2 antennas, one on the inside of the door and a second on the outside of the door. Then configure a sync process to Update an Existing table based on the EPC field. Name the antenna on the inside of the doorway 'Checked In', and the one on the outside of the doorway 'Checked Out'. Depending on which antenna scans the tag the item will be either check in or out in the database, all because of the antenna name that scanned it.

3. I will look into the TAG ID issue you are reporting and see if there are any known bugs. I'll let you know what I find.

Thanks, and please let us know if you have any further questions on this.

Jerry Virgo

Thank you for addressing my questions.

1. On this item, I was able to setup the pre-populated Destination table to ‘Update Existing’. GPO set to Alert Type ‘Destination Data Update’, Port State ‘True’ and Condition ‘0’. The stack light fires every time it reads a tag even if it exists in the destination table. I noticed the value of ‘Condition’ is not being evaluated. A drop-down option could be better as I can put any value including null, True, False, 0 or -1 and the GPO will still keep firing. It does update the record whenever it exists. My expectation is that it will only fire the GPO if the tag doesn’t exist in the destination table.

2. Thanks for the idea of naming the antenna ‘Check-in’ and ‘Check-out’. It worked-out good.

3. I encoded a value in the User memory bank but like the TID, both are not posting. Read all memory banks during scan is enabled. Conversion of EPC from Hex to ASCII is good.

4. How do I use ODBC, Text, Excel in the source tab? I only use RFID to stream data.

Corey Hagewood

Staff member
Hi Jerry,

We did have some fixes recently for GPIO issues that may be related to the behavior you are experiencing. Could you try downloading and installing this update?

http://www.clearstreamrfid.com/downloads/private/3_0/237/ClearStreamRFID.exe

When using read all memory banks during scan you will need to set UpdateSource as a destination post type since the tag banks are queried at different requests, so if you don't do this they won't be posted to the same record in the destination.

When using ClearStream we recommend only using ODBC as your destination type unless using timed syncs. The reason for this is the speed at which the tags are read and inserted into the destination. A text or Excel file is opened and saved as the tags are read and this can result in lost tags especially when using mutliple readers.

Let me know if this helps out.

Jerry Virgo

Hi Corey,

Thanks for the quick response. Some things came up, but I am now working on this project again.

1. The new build 3.0.237 fixed the problem of the GPO when Condition is set to 0 or 1. Thank you.

2. When using read all memory banks during scan you will need to set UpdateSource as a destination post type since the tag banks are queried at different requests, so if you don't do this they won't be posted to the same record in the destination.
-I don’t seem to follow this one. I can’t find ‘UpdateSource’ as a destination post type. Could you please walk me through this?

3. In the Source Tab, how do I use ODBC, Excel and Text as a source? What scenario or application can I use this for and what would be my destination?

4. Is it possible to use ClearStream to configure an antenna to emulate a keyboard wedge much like a barcode scanner?